Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
breaking

Burley motel fire displaces tenants

  • 0
Parish Motel

Parish Motel owner Steve Phothong, right, after a fire broke out Wednesday in one of the motel rooms displacing tenants.

BURLEY — A fire broke out Wednesday in a room at a 14-room motel, leaving six people requiring assistance from the American Red Cross.

Cassia County Sheriff Lt. Kevin Horak said the fire broke out at 10:30 a.m. at the Parish Motel, 721 E. Main St.

Horak said there were a dozen people staying at the motel, but only six that said they needed assistance.

Horak said the fire appeared to be electrical, and utilities had to be turned off throughout the entire building.

No one was injured, Horak said.

Bruce Goin was at the motel with owner Steve Phothong when the fire started.

“I saw a bunch of smoke coming out of the room,” said Goin, who kicked the door down and entered the room to make sure no one was in there.

Phothong said he had been trying to evict a tenant who had previously vandalized the room where the fire started.

But, he said, the legal process was too slow to prevent further damage to his motel.

The incident is still under investigation.

0 Comments
3
11
4
7
3

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

A man has been charged with kidnapping and rape after police say he took a 17-year-old girl from a Burley residence against her will, raped her and dropped her off 6 miles from town without shoes.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News