New guardians often find themselves not knowing where to turn. Here's a list of those who can help.

Grandparents United for Change: Private support group seeking nonprofit status; relies on donations and grants. Myril Houk, founder; 155 Second Ave. N., Suite 202, Twin Falls; 208-430-4292;

Idaho Department of Health and Welfare: State resource for families; "navigators" who guide caregivers through the system; relies on state funding. 208-734-4000, Operates the 2-1-1-Idaho CareLine:

College of Southern Idaho's Office on Aging: Senior services and monthly support groups; relies on federal Title 3 funding from Older Americans Act of 1964. Shawna Wasko, contract manager, 208-736-2122 or swasko@ooa.csi.edu

Problem Solving Courts: Support and workshops for custody and guardianship; funded by the Idaho Supreme Court. Kasey Kliegl, Fifth Judicial District guardianship and conservatorship monitor, 208-737-6810 or

South Central Community Action Partnership: Income-based community support; relies on public and private funding. Misty McEwen, community services director, 208-733-9351;

American Association of Retired Persons: AARP's Grandparent Information Center provides a guide for grandparents with tips, tools and resources: Or call 202-434-2296.

National Association for Grandparents: The association's Grands Matter program provides guidance for building relationships with grandchildren;;

—Mychel Matthews

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments