Also in the news this Tuesday: Judge wants $14 million for neo-Nazi trolling victim and man accused of killing teen girlfriend and posting photos of her body.
Targeted congresswomen fight back against Trump's racist remarks
Defiant in the face of widespread criticism, President Donald Trump renewed his belligerent call for four Democratic congresswomen of color to get out of the U.S. "right now," cementing his position as the most willing U.S. leader in generations to stoke the discord that helped send him to the White House.
Content to gamble that a sizable chunk of the electorate embraces his tweets that have been widely denounced as racist , the president made clear that he has no qualms about exploiting racial divisions once again.
"It doesn't concern me because many people agree with me," Trump said Monday at the White House. "A lot of people love it, by the way."
The episode served notice that Trump is willing to again rely on incendiary rhetoric on issues of race and immigration to preserve his political base in the leadup to the 2020 election.
There was near unanimous condemnation from Democrats for Trump's comments and a rumble of discontent from a subset of Republicans — but notably not from the party's congressional leaders.
Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah, the party's White House nominee in 2012 and now one of the president's most vocal GOP critics, said Trump's comments were "destructive, demeaning, and disunifying."
Far from backing down, Trump on Monday dug in on comments he had initially made a day earlier on Twitter that if lawmakers "hate our country," they can go back to their "broken and crime-infested" countries. His remarks were directed at four congresswomen: Reps. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan. All are American citizens and three of the four were born in the U.S.
"If you're not happy in the U.S., if you're complaining all the time, you can leave, you can leave right now," he said.
The president's words, which evoked the trope of telling black people to go back to Africa, may have been partly meant to widen the divides within the House Democratic caucus, which has been riven by internal debate over how best to oppose his policies. And while Trump's attacks brought Democrats together in defense of their colleagues, his allies noted he was also having some success in making the controversial progressive lawmakers the face of their party.
The president questioned whether Democrats should "want to wrap" themselves around this group of four people as he recited a list of the quartet's most controversial statements.
The four themselves fired back late Monday, condemning what they called "xenophobic bigoted remarks" from the Republican president and renewing calls for their party to begin impeachment proceedings.
Trump "does not know how to defend his policies and so what he does is attack us personally," said Ocasio-Cortez.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who said Trump's campaign slogan truly means he wants to "make America white again," announced Monday that the House would vote on a resolution condemning his new comments . The resolution "strongly condemns President Donald Trump's racist comments" and says they "have legitimized and increased fear and hatred of new Americans and people of color."
Man charged after police find more than 1,000 guns in home
A Los Angeles man found with more than 1,000 guns in his Bel-Air home in May was charged with 64 felony counts, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said Monday.
Girard Damian Saenz, 58, is charged with 23 counts of possession of an assault weapon, 17 counts of transfer of handgun with no licensed firearms dealer, 15 counts of unlawful assault weapon/.50 Browning Machine Gun rifle activity, seven counts of possession of a short-barreled rifle or shotgun, and two counts of possession of a destructive device, the office said.
State law prohibits the manufacture, distribution, transportation, importation and sale of any assault rifle or .50 BMG rifles, except in specific circumstances, according to the California Legislature.
Saenz pleaded not guilty during a Monday morning arraignment at the Los Angeles Superior Court. If convicted of the charges, he could face up to nearly 49 years in prison.
When he was arrested, authorities said there was no indication Saenz used the guns in crimes.
Saenz's property resembled "a hoarder's house" and it took 30 law enforcement officers more than 15 hours to clear the house and remove all the weapons, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation told CNN.
In aerial footage from the scene, hundreds of guns are seen scattered on what appeared to be blankets in the driveway. The weapons ranged from handguns to rifles. Police were seen taking inventory.
A law enforcement official said back in May they had not found any evidence linking Saenz to terrorism.
Don't flush drugs, police warn, at risk of creating 'meth gators'
A Tennessee police department is warning residents to stop flushing drugs down their toilet and sinks out of fear they could create "meth gators."
"Now our sewer guys take great pride in releasing water that is cleaner than what is in the creek, but they are not really prepared for meth," according to a Loretto Police Department social media post. "Ducks, Geese, and other fowl frequent our treatment ponds and we shudder to think what one all hyped up on meth would do."
The police posted the warning to Facebook on Saturday after officers found a suspect unsuccessfully trying to flush methamphetamine and paraphernalia at their home.
The suspect was arrested, but police say this is becoming a bigger issue for the city because drugs in the sewer system end up in retention ponds for processing before they are sent downstream.
Police warn that if the drugs make it far enough, they will end up being consumed by gators in Shoal Creek.
"They've had enough methed up animals the past few weeks without our help," police wrote.
Loretto Police urge residents to bring in any drugs, including prescription medication, into their offices for proper disposal instead of flushing.
Man accused of killing teen girlfriend, posting photos of her body
A recent high school graduate -- who cultivated an online following, particularly among gamers, by posting selfies -- was killed over the weekend
The suspect then shared graphic photos of her dead body online, the Utica Police Department said.
Bianca Devins grew her following across several apps where she shared photos and details about her life.
Police responded to several calls Sunday morning in Utica, N.Y., about a suicidal man who claimed to have killed a woman, the department said.
When officers arrived, the man began to stab his neck with a knife, police said.
The suspect then laid down on a tarp on the ground. Police said the officer saw brown hair protruding from underneath the tarp, and the suspect confirmed it belonged to the woman he said he harmed.
Police identified the victim as Devins. She had extensive injuries to her neck, they said.
Police said the pair met on Instagram about two months ago and their relationship grew into a close one.
The couple was driving back from a concert in New York City sometime after 10 p.m. Saturday. Police said an argument between the two precipitated her death.
"it is believed that he took and distributed photographs of the killing on the Discord platform," police said. Discord is a text and video chat app for gamers.
Members of Discord who viewed the images and posts contacted the Utica Police Department.
"We are shocked and deeply saddened by this terrible situation. We are working closely with law enforcement to provide any assistance we can. In the meantime, our hearts go out to Bianca's family and loved ones," a Discord spokesperson told CNN.
The suspect, identified by police as 21-year-old Brandon Clark, underwent emergency surgery and is expected to live, police said.
Charges will come once officials interview him, they said. CNN has not been able to determine if Clark has retained a lawyer.
Devins' family issued a statement calling their daughter, who planned to start college in the fall, a talented artist, loving sister and daughter.
Judge recommends $14 million award to neo-Nazi trolling victim
The publisher of a neo-Nazi website should have to pay the victim of an internet trolling campaign over $14 million and remove all posts that encouraged his readers to contact the Montana real estate agent, a magistrate judge recommended on Monday.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremiah Lynch called The Daily Stormer publisher Andrew Anglin's behavior reprehensible and atrocious in telling his internet followers to unleash a "troll storm" on Tanya Gersh, her husband and her 12-year-old son in 2016.
The magistrate judge doesn't have the final word in the case. His findings and recommendations must be approved by U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen to take effect.
Gersh, whom Anglin accused of trying to run white nationalist Richard Spencer's mother out of the mountain resort community of Whitefish, said her family received hundreds of threatening, harassing and anti-Semitic messages. She sued Anglin, who argued unsuccessfully through his attorneys that his writings were protected by the First Amendment.
Anglin, who lives outside the U.S., was found in default when he didn't show up for a deposition scheduled in April. His attorneys withdrew from the case when he failed to appear.
Lynch said that Gersh deserves $10 million in punitive damages, the maximum amount in punitive damages allowed under Montana law, because of the "particularly egregious and reprehensible nature of Anglin's conduct." He also said she should be awarded $4 million more for lost earnings and pain and suffering.
Plus, the court should issue a permanent injunction ordering Anglin to remove the posts and photos because "the atrocious conduct directed at Gersh and her family has not entirely abated," Lynch wrote.
Even if Christensen approves Lynch's recommendations, it's questionable whether Gersh will see a dime if Anglin remains outside the reach of U.S. authorities.
But that's not the point, said her attorney, David Dinielli of the Southern Poverty Law Center.
"The significance is not in whether we will collect the money," Dinielli said in an emailed statement to The Associated Press. "The significance is that Tanya Gersh, a real estate agent from a small town in Montana, stood up to fight the most notorious neo-Nazi on the web, and she won."
'Justice wasn't served': 50 years after Chappaquiddick
The crash ended a young woman's life, and with it, a man's White House dreams.
U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy's Oldsmobile sedan veered off a narrow bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, an extension of the resort island of Martha's Vineyard off the Massachusetts coast, and plunged into a moonlit pond 50 years ago Thursday. His passenger, 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne, drowned.
Kennedy, 37, survived, but his presidential ambitions did not. The Massachusetts Democrat waited 10 hours to report the accident to police, and the "whys?" dogged him for the rest of his days.
Half a century later, what did and didn't happen on Chappaquiddick Island on July 18, 1969, continues to fascinate and frustrate.
"Every time there's an anniversary, it's like it happened yesterday," Leslie Leland, who served as foreman of the grand jury that investigated, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from his home on the Vineyard.
Now 79, Leland was a young pharmacist on the island when he was swept up in the aftermath. He recalls getting death threats and 24-hour police protection, and says he is still frustrated by the judge's refusal to subpoena anyone who was at the party or share key investigative documents — stymieing the grand jury's efforts to determine whether Kennedy had been drinking.
"If we'd been allowed to do our job, there would have been an indictment and a request to have a jury trial," he said. "Justice wasn't served. There were so many discrepancies, but we weren't allowed to do our jobs to get to the truth — whatever the truth may have been."
"I was young, and I believed in the system," he continued. "I believed everyone played by the same rules. I learned they don't."
Kennedy was driving after a party when his car flipped into the chilly waters, trapping Kopechne inside. She had been a campaign worker for Kennedy's brother, Robert, who was assassinated the previous year in Los Angeles during California's Democratic presidential primary.
Kennedy, who managed to free himself from the submerged vehicle, said he tried in vain to rescue Kopechne. He later described his failure to report the accident to police for 10 hours as "indefensible," attributing the delay to exhaustion, shock and a concussion.
The nation, too, was shocked. But it was also distracted by the historic Apollo 11 moon landing, which eclipsed news coverage. Kennedy, who insisted he hadn't been drinking, pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and received a suspended sentence of two months in jail. He was never indicted.
For Kopechne's family, bitterness has given way to a desire to honor her memory by telling her story and awarding scholarships in her name to bright young students, said William Nelson, a cousin born three years after she died. Kopechne's father died in 2003; her mother died in 2007.