TWIN FALLS — The Twin Falls Western Days Committee will donate money toward an archway over Shoshone Street that’ll be used for electronic messages.
On Monday, the committee will present its check for $10,000 during the Twin Falls City Council meeting.
“Twin Falls Western Days had some extra money left over last year,” Chairman Stan Crowley said. “We usually don’t have a lot of money.”
Community event organizers such as the Western Days committee used to hang banners across Shoshone Street to promote events. But the City Council in 2016 voted to stop it because of safety concerns.
Crowley said the fire department used to have to do the installation of those banners. He thinks the electronic message board is a great idea.
As of Tuesday, the Archway Committee had raised all but $86,000 of a $225,000 goal, facilitator Kathy Markus said in an email to the Times-News. The new archway will span Shoshone Street near the City Park and have electronic message boards displaying city and nonprofit events, emergency alerts and announcements.
The committee seeks donors for the project through The Twin Falls Community Foundation. Donors of $100 or more will be recognized on the archway bricks or plaque, depending on the amount of the donation.
The City Council meeting starts at 5 p.m. Monday in City Council Chambers at 203 Main Ave. E. Also on the agenda:
- A proclamation declaring April 2018 as Fair Housing Month in the city of Twin Falls.
- Presentation of certificates of appreciation to Tom Frank, Kevin Grey and Steve Woods for serving on the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Presentation of POST advanced certificates to officers Morgan Waite, Adam Dixon, Josh Hayes, Asmir Kararic and Sgt. Justin Dimond; and a supervisor certificate to Sgt. Dusty Solomon of Twin Falls Police Department.
- A request to appoint Mike Mason as commissioner for the Twin Falls Housing Authority for a five-year term.
- An ordinance for annexation of 13.43 acres at the southeast corner of Canyon Falls Drive and Harrison Street, with a zoning change.
- A request to waive the non-conforming building expansion permit process for a residence at 469 Adams St.
- An ordinance for a zoning change for a 0.22-acre parcel at the southeast corner of Canyon Falls Road and Harrison Street.