Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Rupert House Fire

The home at 39 W. 100 N., Rupert, where a woman lost her life March 24 in a house fire.

RUPERT • A Rupert woman whose body was found in her home after a Thursday house fire did not die because of the fire, officials said.

Sue Arlynn Maggard, 77, likely died from a heart attack, Minidoka County Coroner Lucky Bourn said.

Bourn said Maggard’s family provided him with dental history and he obtained medical and surgical records, which were used to verify her identity during the autopsy in Boise on Monday.

The family also provided a detailed description of jewelry worn by Maggard, which was identified.

Maggard had a “known history” of smoking cigarettes in bed, and the state fire marshal found the fire was caused by a cigarette, Bourn said.

Bourn said the cause of death was probable acute myocardial ischemia, which is a heart attack.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

He said the cause of death indicates Maggard died before the fire.

The family was given the option of waiting on DNA testing, but based on the evidence provided during the autopsy and the jewelry identification, the family chose not to do the additional tests, he said.


Load comments