BURLEY — A special prosecutor assigned to handle a case against a Burley man charged after schoolgirls said he tried to lure them from the playground dismissed the remaining charges Wednesday.
The Jerome County Prosecutor’s Office filed a motion to dismiss misdemeanor battery and enticing of children charges against 51-year-old Vadian Dougal.
The court issued an order of dismissal Wednesday.
Dougal was originally charged with felony second-degree kidnapping along with the misdemeanor charges. The felony charge was dismissed earlier this month.
Dougal was arrested along with another man at his home near White Pine Elementary School, where the girls said the incident occurred. Charges were later dropped against the second man.
The girls said the two men tried to grab them and lure them off school grounds with the promise of candy and money.
One child said Dougal was loitering near a light pole on school grounds after she got off the bus. When she walked away, she told police, Dougal ran up to her and grabbed her by the arm. She said he let go when she hit his arm.
The Jerome prosecutor took the case in November when Cassia County Prosecutor Doug Abenroth said he had a conflict of interest with a witness.
Other prosecutors turned the case down.
The Jerome County prosecutor has a policy of not speaking with reporters.