{{featured_button_text}}
Dietrich School Lockdown

School buses arrive at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Wednesday, May 25, in Dietrich. Dietrich School was put on lockdown earlier in the day.

DIETRICH — A week after Dietrich School District officials learned of an alleged sexual assault in a football locker room, a school district investigation concluded it was “more likely than not” that a black, mentally disabled football player was sexually assaulted with a hanger by several teammates following an Oct. 22 football practice, documents filed late last week show.

The investigation included 30 interviews with football players, coaches, and parents, according to district officials, and found “evidence of misconduct among students that (included) sexual harassment, bullying behavior, and sexual assault.”

The findings of the investigation, heavily redacted with student names blacked out, were made available in court documents filed Thursday in a civil lawsuit.

The civil lawsuit, brought by the victim of the alleged assault against the district, claims the Oct. 22 sexual assault was the culmination of months of “severe and pervasive harassment, racial discrimination, mental and physical assault and battery.” The suit seeks $10 million in damages and claims the district, school administrators and football coaches were aware of or should have been aware of the abuse.”

Named in the suit are Dietrich School Principal Stephanie Shaw, Superintendent Ben Hardcastle, district board members Starr Olson, Brad Dotson, Benjamin Hoskisson, Kris Hubert and Perry Van Tassell, and football coaches Mike Torgersen, Bret Peterson, Rick Astle and Wayne Dill.

Not named in the civil suit are John R.K. Howard, 18, of Keller, Texas, and Tanner Ray Ward, 17, of Richfield. They were the football players charged as adults with felony counts of forcible sexual penetration by the use of a foreign object. Ward’s charge has since been amended to a lesser charge and his case moved to juvenile court as part of plea negotiations; a third player was charged as a juvenile.

The newly available documents outlining the school district’s investigation and findings would not typically be available to the public. But lawyers for the victim’s family submitted the documents in court to argue they should be granted access to unredacted reports, not the redacted versions they received from the school district’s lawyers.

“We were given copies of the investigation’s findings, but all the important info — who made the statements, who was there — it’s all been wiped out,” Lee Schlender, an attorney for the plaintiff, told the Times-News on Monday.

“We told the court, ‘no, no. We’re entitled to get that material because it’s evidence.’ The school district’s attorneys have the entire file in its pure form … We’re just as entitled to those as anyone.”

Schlender called the documents “critical” because they contain the record of the school district’s investigation “back when it happened in October and November.” He expects Chief U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill to rule in the next 20 to 30 days whether he’ll be granted access to the unredacted reports.

The documents show that Superintendent Ben Hardcastle and Principal Stephanie Shaw opened a Title IX investigation into the sexual-assault allegations on Oct. 23, the same day the victim’s mother reported the attack.

The investigation found that one teammate:

More likely than not on Oct. 22 gave the victim a “wedgie” that ripped his underwear before practice. “This happened in front of other student athletes.”

More likely than not, the victim was wearing the torn boxers after practice when the same teammate who gave him the “wedgie” picked up a black plastic hanger and abused the victim.

It is possible that the teammate who inserted the hanger, when told by another player to stop, told that teammate “something to the effect, ‘shut up or I’ll do the same thing to you.’”

Tanner Ward was the player accused in the criminal complain of inserting the coat hanger into the victim. He was initially charged as an adult with forcible sexual penetration by the use of a foreign object, but his case was moved to juvenile court earlier this month as part of plea negotiations.

The investigation found that a second teammate:

More likely than not “kicked the hanger multiple times, either embedding it into the rectum of (victim), or embedding it further.”

More likely than not, the teammate who kicked the hanger “on other occasions … has ‘dry humped’ or simulated having anal sex with younger players.”

“It is possible but not certain that, before practice on Oct. 22, (the player who kicked the hanger) pushed (the victim) into the corner of the bathroom on the Junior High School side of the locker room, after his underwear had been ripped, and simulated having sex with him.”

Howard was the player accused in the criminal complaint of kicking the hanger further into the victim. He pleaded not guilty earlier this month to a felony charge of forcible sexual penetration by the use of a foreign object.

The investigation found that a third teammate:

More likely than not had his arm around and was possibly hugging (victim) when (redacted) grabbed (the victim’s) underwear.

“More likely than not ... was present and turned off the lights in the bathroom when (the second player) pushed (the victim) into the corner and simulated having sex with him.”

More likely than not “‘dry humped’ or simulated having sex with (the victim) in the cold storage room the football team keeps its pads, but this happened on a separate date than the other incidents.”

The player charged as a juvenile was a boy accused in a preliminary hearing of luring the victim into a hug so that Ward and Tanner could attack him.

Other documents in the new court filing include written statements and drawings from students whose names are redacted. Among them is a statement from a football player who says he used his foot to shove the victim away.

The documents say the players attacked the victim twice, both times abusing him with the hanger.

Other football players wrote they witnessed the attacks, with one writing “I felt like saying something to stop it but I’m one of those people that I get too nervous or shy to say something about it.”

On Nov. 6, Hardcastle, the superintendent, wrote in a report that he and Shaw “used disciplinary action to address misconduct.”

“We are continuing to cooperate with law enforcement in the criminal investigation,” Hardcastle wrote. “We will continue to gather information and would like to work with the (victim) family and the community to identify cultural implications and impact. As a school, we want to help identify what we can do to help (the victim) and to help see to the needs of all of our students in the wake of this.”

Along with the motion to gain access to the unredacted documents, the attorneys for the plaintiff filed an amended complaint that combines the federal lawsuit with a state lawsuit.

The amended complaint claims the victim “has suffered and continues to suffer severe emotional distress including depression, fatigue, embarrassment, humiliation and other damages.”

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0

Tags

Load comments