Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Baby death

Sunlight shines on a street sign at Highland Avenue and Watchmaker Street Thursday in Twin Falls. A baby girl, left for hours in a hot car, died Friday in the 500 block of Highland Avenue.

TWIN FALLS — An autopsy revealed no obvious cause in the death of a 10-month-old baby left for hours last week inside a hot car.

The initial autopsy performed in Boise ruled out any physical abuse or illness that may have contributed to the girl’s death, Twin Falls County Coroner Gene Turley said Thursday. Turley hopes forensic toxicology tests will reveal more.

Meanwhile, no arrests have been made and Twin Falls Police have not released the names of the baby or her parents. But Don Patterson of Twin Falls told the Times-News on Monday that the infant was his granddaughter, Natalie Ross, and said she had been left in a car strapped into her car seat Friday evening. Patterson said his granddaughter died that night.

Twin Falls Police responded just before midnight Friday to the 500 block of Highland Avenue for a call about a baby not breathing. Officers found the girl was unresponsive. She was taken to St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center for treatment, but efforts to revive her failed.

“Officers learned the baby had been left unattended inside a parked vehicle for several hours during the afternoon and evening hours,” a police statement said Monday afternoon.

Turley said blood, urine and other bodily fluid samples sent out of state for testing may indicate how hot the interior of the vehicle got Friday. He expects the results to take four to six weeks.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

Patterson’s daughter, Eva Ross, was working at her parents’ fireworks stand Friday while her husband, Richard Ross, was with their baby, Patterson said. Her husband was to pick her up at 9:30 p.m., but didn’t show up, he said. Ross got a ride home and found the police at her house just before midnight, Patterson said.

Twin Falls Police are still investigating the death, Lt. Terry Thueson said Thursday. Thueson directed further questions to Prosecuting Attorney Grant Loebs.

Loebs said he’s awaiting the results of the investigation before more details are released.


Load comments