Western States Equipment Company has a long legacy for providing quality equipment and excellent service to customers. During the early 1900s, J.A. Terteling & Sons Construction Company was a major provider on massive earth moving projects throughout the United States. This included work on roads, dams, bridges, canals, railroads, mines, munitions dumps, airports and coal production.
The construction industry’s success in this era prompted Terteling to diversify the business into equipment sales. In 1933, Western States Equipment was incorporated but Terteling & Sons also continued to enjoy rapid growth until the post-World War construction boom slowed in 1953.
Rather than expand the business abroad, the Terteling partners withdrew from construction, mining and other associated businesses, and shifted all focus to equipment sales. Twenty-three years after its inception, Western States applied for and was awarded the Caterpillar dealership service area for southern Idaho.
Western States Equipment has a proud history of acquisition and growth. What began as four service branches has grown into a much larger, award-winning organization. The company now covers an area over 191,000 square miles with 12 general line and truck engine branches, and 11 Cat® Rental Stores.