After a norovirus outbreak among security guards for the Winter Olympics in South Korea, the country has deployed 900 military personnel to help fill in.
About 1,200 security guards were pulled from duty by the norovirus outbreak, which organizers said struck 41 security guards with vomiting and diarrhea on Sunday. The outbreak comes just days befor the 2018 Olympics begin on Thursday.
To prevent the spread of the disease, the other guards were withdrawn and replaced with 900 military personnel as of Monday afternoon, a statement from the Pyeongchang Olympics committee said.
"The military personnel ... will be responsible for security checks of the 20 venues as they take up jobs such as security searches, previously done by civilian safety personnel, until the patients' condition is normalized," the statement said.
All the civilian guards were in a stable condition, according to the statement. Organizers said that all Olympic accommodation and buses were being disinfected.