Letter To The Editor: Coach Fox Teaching Valuable Life Lessons at CRHS

2013-01-24T02:00:00Z Letter To The Editor: Coach Fox Teaching Valuable Life Lessons at CRHS Twin Falls Times-News
January 24, 2013 2:00 am

Class is in session at Canyon Ridge High School. I am not only referring to the all the students who are receiving a high-quality education from caring teachers, staff members and administrators, but additionally I am referring to the varsity boys basketball coach,

Jacoby Fox, who is a class act.

I have observed Coach Fox first-hand behind the scenes and on game day. I have seen up close how hard Coach Fox works and how well he interacts with people, especially student athletes, coaches and parents. In the things that really matter in life, he is everything you want in a teacher and a coach. He is knowledgeable, positive, caring, organized, hard-working, honest, fair and inspiring. In short, he is one of classiest young coaches I have ever met. As a young coach, he is obviously not the most experienced in the conference, but he knows the sports he coaches as a high school athlete who has played and as a diligent coach who has studied the game. He outworks his opponents to prepare his football and basketball teams for success and to give them every opportunity to win. I don’t think he can do much more to help his basketball team win outside of shooting free throws for them or making game-winning layups.

I would like to see any other experienced coach get more out of his team this year than he has. Why does he sacrifice so much personal time for his student athletes? I’ll let you decide, but one thing is for sure it is not for the money. In terms of pay, coaching at the high school level is more like a hobby. If you do the math per hour, you would learn that coaching a high school sport works out to be something like 25 cents an hour, especially with how many hours Coach Fox puts in for his basketball program.

In the arena of competitive athletics, the in-your-face goal of winning drives all the hype around the games we enjoy and sometimes the ugliness that makes you wonder what people are thinking. More importantly, however, the goal of winning pursued with an honorable coach drives life lessons that mold young athletes into productive, upright adults.

The varsity football, basketball and track teams on which I participated at Twin Falls High School never made the state finals, but I did learn critical life lessons with the help of some classy coaches — lessons of dedication, hard work, cooperation, enthusiasm, tenacity, optimism, and to always do my best and never give up.

My son is learning those same life lessons even more so by playing for Coach Fox. I wonder how many other teams could face each game with such determination to do their best and never give up under the current situation.

Let’s all remember: what you get by pursuing your goals is not as important as what you

become.

KASEY TESKE

Twin Falls

1. jdyreson
    jdyreson - January 24, 2013 4:00 pm
    Oh...just to be fair there have been a couple CRHS kids get scholarships too.
  2. jdyreson
    jdyreson - January 24, 2013 3:56 pm
    Good luck sportsmom, I mostly agree with you. :)
  3. jdyreson
    jdyreson - January 24, 2013 3:54 pm
    There's a reason she doesnt play, and all the kids that have gotten scholarships I know of play club sports. With the exception of a couple football players. And I imagine they spent time at some camp somewhere.
    I have also coached youth sports from 1st grade girls soccer through 8th grade football in this town for over twenty years. I feel I have as much right to comment as you do!
  4. Sportsmom2
    Sportsmom2 - January 24, 2013 3:29 pm
    I think in this job market, more people find you have to put up with the junk cause jobs are hard to come by! :)

I understand about the grass not always being greener. And actually, it's good for people to know. But obviously I think the point made by nearly everyone commenting is that it is apparent that it happens everywhere. There are people happy with programs, upset with programs, etc. There is no way to make everyone happy,coaching, teaching, administrating or otherwise. It is absolutely impossible! I don't know a thing about the transfer rules or the upholding of such, but if it is that bad, then it needs to be addressed.

I think some kids need to learn some respect. It is sure different than when we were kids! I know my own kids would exaggerate things that coaches or teachers said to them or took things a bit too personally. I have done the same. It is human nature. I just don't think that the manner in which the original letter last week was written was appropriate no matter the situation.
  5. Giggles
    Giggles - January 24, 2013 2:57 pm
    If life is so bad at TFHS as a parent it is your job to keep them safe (so if poor character is an issue, you may need to suck it up and be a mean parent and do what is right~ move her to CRHS). Also you sit there and say high school sports mean nothing.... Did you know that TFHS students in the past couple of years have received scholarships for baseball, softball, football, and basketball, so I guess it means something. Your daughter doesn't seem to play sports so you shouldn't even be commenting.
  6. jdyreson
    jdyreson - January 24, 2013 2:21 pm
    Thats my point, high school sports are not for college recruiting AT ALL. Its a waste of time IF that is your goal. Let the other kids have a chance to play. And by the way if I could get my kid to go to CRHS she would have been there two years ago. She lives in CRHS district by the way. Hmm....curious huh. I would much rather deal with poor x's and o's from a coach than poor character. But she would rather not play sports and continue to go to school with the friends she has grown up with.
    You're right it should be her choice, and the part about this happening in a job. You can get another job you're not stuck where you are. I guess the biggest point I have tried to make in this thread is " the grass is'nt always greener on the other side of town". Winning should'nt be the most important thing, but as I have always seen it coaching is a privilege not right. My experience in life as well as coaching is if you treat people with respect you will be respected. Otherwise......not so much.
  7. Sportsmom2
    Sportsmom2 - January 24, 2013 1:50 pm
    Coaching pay is different in all school districts. I know of one 1A school that did not give the coaches even one dime of a raise 12 years straight. Then another even smaller 1A school did coaching stipends on a sliding scale strictly based on the years the coach had been coaching that particular sport. I do believe it is public record and available at your school district office. If $3000 a year or so sounds like a lot for working on a program 12 months out of the year then folks are crazy. Especially for what they put up with.

There are parents, believe it or not, that do accept the coaching even if it is not as they would like it. If it was a severe issue, we made an appointment and spoke to the coach. If it was not resolved to our liking, our child was given a choice...play and accept that the coach does not do things or say things you like, etc. or do not play. If you are going to complain about it every single day and not put your heart and soul into it, then you are better off not playing. This too, prepares them for the real word! You will have employers you do not like. You can't just try to get them fired or do this public humiliation bit that is going on right here. It is life. There are people you like, people you don't and sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it.

High school sports are not just for college recruiting. Thank heavens that a lot of kids get to play that would never have a chance in college. There is nothing wrong with high school sports.
  8. jdyreson
    jdyreson - January 24, 2013 10:54 am
    Kasey, I am not here to bash fox. But what do coachs make? Not some mythical price per hour give me an accurate range of the contracts Highschool vasity coachs get per season.
    What I have gotten from much of what is going on around this issue is it's not the scores so much as it is many coach's and AD's attitudes toward the parents and players.
    Also let me ask your opion, I respect it. What if for whatever reason highscool sports are a waste of time for a competetive athlete, would you deride that kid, would you presssure them or encourage their friends to pressure them to play? Would you use peer pressure to pyscologicaly badger them that they are letting their school and friends down? Would it bother you if the really good players quit playing school sports and stuck to club sports that were more meaninfull to them and their futures. Because surely you know what magic valley highschool sports means to college recruiters. NOTHING !
    What do you do when you dont like the coaching Kasey? Please dont tell me you would just except the coaching as is and explain life lessons to your kid. I know different !
    Just some thoughts to think about, it is all really about the kids right?