TWIN FALLS • Idaho taxpayers may be eligible for an automatic, six-month extension to file their state taxes, the Idaho State Tax Commission announced.

But take note — it’s not an extension of time to actually pay your taxes.

Taxes are due Monday, April 15. To qualify for an automatic extension of state income taxes without filing a written request, you must pay either an estimated 80 percent of what you owe for 2012 or the full amount of your 2011 state taxes by that date.

A valid extension will spare you the penalty for late filing, but the state will charge 3 percent annual interest on the unpaid portion of your taxes until you pay the full amount owed for 2012.

The worksheet on Idaho Form 51 — available through — can help you estimate if you owe additional taxes. There are several ways to pay:

• Mail Form 51 with your check or money order to Idaho State Tax Commission, P.O. Box 56, Boise, ID 83756-0056.

• Pay by credit card through the Tax Commission website by clicking on “E-pay.”

• Make a payment at any Tax Commission office.

If you qualify for the extension, your Idaho return and the rest of any tax payment must be postmarked by Oct. 15.

For further information call the Tax Commission at 800-972-7660.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.