2012-01-12T02:00:00Z 2012-01-13T06:27:01Z Senator McGee Keeps Job as GOP Caucus Chairman Despite Arrest for Drunken DrivingThe Associated Press The Associated Press
January 12, 2012 2:00 am  •

BOISE • Idaho Senate officials say Republican Sen. John McGee will keep his position as caucus chairman, the fourth highest ranking post in the GOP controlled chamber.

Republican senators met behind closed doors in the Idaho Capitol Wednesday to determine if McGee should retain his leadership post. Last year, McGee pleaded guilty to drunken driving in a plea deal after being arrested in a Boise neighborhood.

The Caldwell Republican has apologized for his behavior and is aware of the disappointment expressed by his senate colleagues.

The private meeting was the first chance McGee had since his arrest to address all of his senate colleagues, seek forgiveness and make a case to keep his job as caucus chairman.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1. escape
    escape - January 19, 2012 6:15 pm
    I encourage anyone who cares about the McGee incident to contact at least the following three (3) Twin Falls-area ID lawmakers.

None has even responded to my complaints; but all support their "buddy" John McGee without reservation.

Sharon Block
    sblock@house.idaho.gov

Stephen Hartgen
    shartgen@house.idaho.gov

Lee Heider
    lheider@senate.idaho.gov

Each and every one of the above-referenced lawmakers supports Senator John McGee and encourages driving under the influence for elected officers. Until they say differently.

Scott Andrus
    Twin Falls
  2. mommybear
    mommybear - January 19, 2012 7:00 am
    SAD! Actually insulting that he is so above the law. If this man was a regular Cop or Deputy, the book would have been thrown at him and he would lose his JOB immediately, after all he enforces the law and would be held to higher standard than the rest. Yet one of the men, who sit behind the desk and creates the very law that the cops have to enforce, sits back and still has his cozy job, and does not seem to have to pay for his irresponsible and reckless actions!. Frankly, he should have spent time in jail, and he should have lost his job, just like a cop or deputy, or any poor person would have if they had done what he did!!!! Justice is suppose to be blind, and that means government officials too!
  3. Jim_Bob
    Jim_Bob - January 18, 2012 10:03 am
    And Gov Butch Otter just gave himself a 4% raise. These guys know how to court their constituents.
  4. u_dont_know_me
    u_dont_know_me - January 16, 2012 9:41 am
    What a disappointment with the Idaho GOP. How am I going to have any respect in his leading ability when he can't even do the right thing in this case? He should understand how the public views this and step down from his post. I am not talking about the judicial system, I am talking about making yourself an example for the people to look up to and do the right thing. The judicial system is what it is at this point, but he can still DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!
  5. Wheezer
    Wheezer - January 14, 2012 8:12 am
    Many poloticians started out as good, honest people. Unfortunately, they can become corrupted by the power and prestige afforded them. When someone has done something against the law and the first words out of their mouth to the police is " I'm a Senator" indicates to me that they expect preferential treament and it worked for him.
  6. toolfan4439
    toolfan4439 - January 13, 2012 11:31 am
    Sen. McGee got special treatment. No doubt about it.

We need to educate as many friends and neighbors as possible and get people out of office in November who continue to act "above everyone else".

I agree about Rep. Hartgen, he has a real attitude and should be brought back down to earth. He needs to be replaced along with Sen. McGee.
  7. jdyreson
    jdyreson - January 12, 2012 11:03 pm
    I think I am finally seeing through the Kool Aide. Perhaps before we can fix this nation we should all look at cleaning our own nests first.
  8. escape
    escape - January 12, 2012 10:33 am
    I remember when the erstwhile editor of The Times-News told me that the John McGee story was a non-story. I find it gratifying that the new editor team published an update.

Remember, a close friend of the honorable senator is former TN publisher Stephen Hartgen, who gets A LOT of ink in the regional newspaper. He defends Sen McGee, without reservation; please keep that in mind during the next election cycle.

It is also Rep Stephen Hartgen who once told me to say that I "respect" him before he would consider any emails from me. I am honest-to-God serious. The man is a problem.

Scott Andrus
    Twin Falls
  9. yankeejimmyt
    yankeejimmyt - January 11, 2012 8:07 pm
    I am not in the least bit surprised. As the IdahoHeathen points out there are "rules" and then there are "rules" Money, power, "who you know" and "who you are" dictate how the justice scales balance out. It gets even more interesting when you look at his record on the Idaho Supreme Court Data Repository.
  10. IdahoHeathen
    IdahoHeathen - January 11, 2012 1:19 pm
    This just proves that there is one set of rules for the political class and another for us "mere mundanes." How these hypocrites keep getting reelected baffles me.

Ask Us!

Ask us a question and we'll email you an answer.