Magic Valley Sees Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate in State

Magic Valley news
2011-03-07T06:30:00Z 2012-01-16T07:30:43Z Magic Valley Sees Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate in StateBy Laurie Welch - Times-News writer Twin Falls Times-News
March 07, 2011 6:30 am  •

BURLEY — While most teens ponder who to ask to the prom or whether to take trigonometry next semester, Kiyana Villalvazo’s thoughts center on a tiny girl with delicate feet.

Every two weeks, Villalvazo brings her 4-month-old daughter, Jesenia, to Salt Lake City for medical treatment on the infant’s legs, which curled as she grew inside her mother. Only 18 herself, Villalvazo has watched as casts and now metal braces help guide her daughter’s growth.

Villalvazo married her longtime sweetheart, Jose, at age 17, and moved in with his family. But her pregnancy early last year came as a surprise.

“We talked about having a baby, but we didn’t actually plan it,” she said. “Some kids plan to have their babies now, big time. I don’t know why — I just get this vibe that they want to be wanted and want to have a kid.”

While Villalvazo said TV shows like MTV’s Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant glorify teen pregnancy, innumerable social factors play into why America’s teens become mothers.

But this much is certain: As Idaho’s teen pregnancy rate dropped from 1999-2009, south-central Idaho teens continued to get pregnant at much higher rates than their counterparts across the state.

In 2009, more than six of every 100 teen girls age 15-19 within the eight-county South Central Public Health District became pregnant. Idaho’s statewide teen pregnancy rate was closer to four of every 100 girls.

While SCPHD Health Education Specialist Adria Masoner said western Idaho has typically been home to the state’s highest teen pregnancy rate, the Magic Valley took that distinction in 2009.

“I have never seen numbers like this before, and I’ve been working in this program on and off for the past 13 years,” she said.

Area high school officials say they’re doing a better job of keeping teen mothers like Villalvazo in school, where they’re counted in annual Idaho Department of Health and Welfare statistics.

“Once they drop out, they can drop off the radar,” said Lauri Heward, principal of Cassia Alternative High School in Burley, which Villalvazo attends.

But it doesn’t take an accountant to track teen pregnancies locally. Jerome High School Principal Eric Anderson said his school saw 71 pregnancies among its nearly 1,000 male and female students in 2009. During the same year, Jerome County had Idaho’s highest pregnancy rate — more than nine pregnancies per 100 girls.

“I think it’s alarming and a sign of the times,” Anderson said. “And I have to tell you, I don’t particularly like the times.”

A cultural shift

Teens make mistakes. They always have and still do, 18-year-old Josh Dring said.

Dring, himself a father of a nearly 2-year-old daughter, doesn’t sugarcoat the reality that some teens live in the mainly rural Magic Valley.

“Everybody just goes to parties in Burley,” he said. “They get drunk and messed up and can’t control themselves.”

Dring said his girlfriend dropped out of school and got her high school equivalency degree after they had their child. The couple plans to marry in May. What’s not planned, he said, are most teen pregnancies.

He said schools do a good job in preaching abstinence and other sex education, but those messages don’t always sink in.

“It’s just how teenagers are,” he said. “They don’t know what to expect and they don’t really care what happens. They just go for it. And we just basically go in blind.”

What’s changed, some school officials say, is the matter-of-fact way teens treat their pregnant peers. John Kontos, principal at Mount Harrison Junior/Senior High School in Heyburn, said, “The social stigma has gone by the wayside.”

Anderson said some teen parents treat their children as show-and-tell features, swelled by a mix of pride and a lack of maturity.

“It’s a pretty cool thing to bring your child to school,” he said. “Of course, we never let them.”

While more teens are comfortable talking about pregnancy, that hasn’t necessarily extended to their parents, Burley Junior High School sex education teacher Janet Bingham said. As more pre-teens experiment with physical relationships, she said, parents are still slow to realize how early they should start having those uncomfortable discussions about sex.

“Parents don’t do an adequate job,” she said. “They think their kids are too young to know about sexual things.”

It’s not that parents don’t care, Masoner said — quite the opposite. But work pressures can keep them distant from their children’s bombardment of sexual messages through unsupervised access to popular media.

“In most families it’s a big concern, but parents just don’t have the tools or the comfort level to talk to their kids about this,” she said. “It’s not part of the everyday conversation in their homes.”

For a number of Magic Valley teens, a heavy emphasis on family and traditional religious beliefs against contraception and abortion may play into both why they get pregnant and why they don’t.

But cultural factors are only one part of the story. Anderson said socio-economic factors play a larger role than any other factor.

Overall birth rates are often highest among the poor and working poor in the U.S., but south-central Idaho’s teen birth rates buck that trend. While Idaho’s unemployment rate — a major factor in the area’s poverty level — hovers around 9.5 percent, unemployment in much of south-central Idaho remains at or below the state rate.

The cost of responsibility

Villalvazo wants to become a nurse, and her husband wants to graduate high school with her.

But when Jose was laid off from his job, not even the help of family could keep pace with the needs of a young couple with an infant to care for.

“If you pretty much don’t have all the support and help you need for money and food and all that stuff, it’s hard,” Villalvazo said. “But we got on Health and Welfare and food stamps, and that helps out a lot.”

Idaho estimates unplanned teen pregnancies cost state taxpayers $39 million annually in related health care, child safety and public safety costs. Masoner said Medicaid covers deliveries for teens who can’t afford the hospital stays, and uneducated teen mothers’ reliance on the public for help often expands to further assistance.

“Really, it’s a huge hit to the taxpayers,” she said. “Despite the emotional issues — and there’s so many of them — it’s a financial issue for our country.”

As state legislators eye a Medicaid overhaul that would cut $39.1 million in state spending next fiscal year by reducing funding for some services, the debate over the cost of teen pregnancies continues.

Educators are doing their share, Kontos said. Without school day cares like those provided at his school and Cassia Alternative, more teens would drop out to care for their children, increasing their reliance on state-funded social programs.

“You can’t leave the baby without assistance,” Kontos said. “It’s a struggle for these girls, but at least if they graduate there is a hope they can go on.”

There’s another side to that coin, both Masoner and Heward said, as not all teens are motivated to maintain self-reliance. Masoner said some teens take the approach that they won’t have to pay for their child’s care, instead shifting it to their parents or public care. Heward suggested that teen mothers should be required to stay in school to receive state assistance.

“If we put that standard back in place, it would help keep some of those kids in school,” Heward said. “Not to discredit the GED program, because for some kids it’s a saving thing, but a diploma should mean something.”

She’s not alone in her call for some teen mothers to shoulder a heavier burden.

“Somewhere we’ve got to get tough. What are the real consequences?” Bingham said.

But while some area educators are calling to give the issue the stick, they also realize that education can serve as the carrot that leads teen mothers out of cycles of poverty. Placing a higher emphasis on finishing high school and receiving post-secondary education can help improve the prospects of teens who grow up in struggling agricultural areas, Kontos said.

“I want to graduate,” Villalvazo said. “I know a lot of people who dropped out of school. They had too much stress, and they think they’ll just blow it off and come back and get their GED.”

Life together, yet alone

Kristen Rodriguez held her son aloft Monday, kissing his round, left cheek at Cassia Alternative High School. The 19-year-old mother said she can’t imagine life without 8-month-old Jaysun.

But she’s had to get used to life without Jaysun’s father. Her boyfriend of three years left the state after she became pregnant.

Heward said the burden of caring for a baby too often falls solely on the mother’s shoulders, and few teen parents remain together by the time they are seniors in high school.

For Dring, caring for a son, maintaining a relationship with his girlfriend and pursuing a music career have strained each pursuit.

“We were just like regular teenagers, trying to figure out how to get through life and how to do things,” he said of life before the baby. “I still get to go out and have a life and play in my band. She can go do things, but just chooses not to.”

But educators and teens alike know that not everyone shares Dring’s intentions of parenthood. Bingham said a lot of teen girls want unconditional love and think a baby will provide it.

“What they don’t understand is they’re the ones who will have to do the unconditional loving.”

Rodriguez is doing just that while working to finish high school this year. She hopes to move to Twin Falls and attend cosmetology school after she graduates, but it hasn’t been easy.

“It’s not all fun and games. You see the other kids with their babies and you’re like ‘Oh, that’s so cute,’ but once you have your baby, wow, it’s not all what it seems,” she said. “…When you get behind the walls and get home, the baby’s into everything, and you’re trying to do your work, trying to go to school and get everything done. It’s a lot harder than it looks.”

Laurie Welch may be reached at lwelch@magicvalley.com or 677-5025.

1. whathefun
    whathefun - March 22, 2011 9:25 pm
    Econ Student, You deserve the last word, thank you. Sorry I had to list beyond you for your props.
  2. Econ Student
    Econ Student - March 22, 2011 2:33 am
    I have noticed that one form of birth control that hasn’t been mentioned and that is abortion. I am very aware that the South Central Idaho population is a very religious and conservative but they are also very pragmatic. This leads me to believe that if understood without its usual negative connotations, abortion could provide a young adult an alternative to enduring a life altering (potentially damaging) situation. Also, one should consider the potential benefits of abortion becoming a highly supported form of birth control.
    The economist Steven Levitt suggested that the reason the early 90’s experienced a reduction in the crime rate was due to one important event, Roe v Wade. With the legalization of abortion, many unprepared would-be mothers gained the opportunity to terminate their pregnancies. Levitt also states that the majority of women that were receiving abortions were those that could not afford to support a child and were most likely resort to government assistance. Along with having to be supported by welfare, the child would have been raised in an environment that would have conduced criminal behavior. Although, arguably, not that the only contributing factor to the reduction, it still prevented many potential mothers from giving birth to what possibly could have been many unemployed young people turning to crime to conjure a profit or to fill time not absorbed by a job.
    Perhaps if abortion wasn’t a vilified procedure it could help prevent many potential young parents from becoming dependent on the state and ruining their lives and the life of their child. Thus I believe that any person that is against the government providing welfare for young unprepared parents should support any education for teenagers on the topic of abortion.
  3. hellsurvivor
    hellsurvivor - March 20, 2011 10:17 am
    opinionatedx10 said: "... However, you should have used smaller words or stick figures... I'm not sure if everyone reading this thread is capable of using a dictionary."

Unfortunately, your what some might call cynical comment is the brutal truth.

4. whathefun
    whathefun - March 20, 2011 8:00 am
    opinionated, I'm glad to read things have turned out well for you. I do not feel I speak for any generation and I do not support living off the system. But sometimes life does start that way. We have a safety net for this reason. Look up nations that don't and tell me how much we should cut and put age limits on. Many of man's solutions are horrendous. As far as laughing, I find nothing funny about you giving a 16 yr old a condom and I truly hope you gave him the whole box. If it wasn't for fun why take the pill? On that note, I'd like everybody to know the only almost safe sex is with a condom. Pregnancy can be one of the nicer side effects. Did you read the article? The rate is higher here. Maybe a lot of folks, only dole them out one at a time? How about teach them the truth. Not just the monetary issues, but the physical and psychological changes that are inevitable. Yes, they need to be taught about condoms but their needs to be a lot of conversation. Like maybe the condoms are being handed to the wrong people. The law does give her the final say, after all. Start with respect for her mom and dad. I can't imagine my ma handing me a condom or having to ask for another.
  5. opinionatedx10
    opinionatedx10 - March 19, 2011 3:20 pm
    Oh, Whathefun... I can't stop laughing. First and foremost, I did find the right guy, and I've been married now for 11 years, we are college educated, we own a home, pay taxes, and we ARE NOT on welfare. Also, you're older? I'm very disappointed, I was really hoping the older generation would be a part of the solution and not the problem. For our sake, I hope the parents of your nieces have better sense than you, and encourage safe sex. Or, I guess you'll just be an Uncle to pregnant welfare teen mothers. Good for you, glad it's not me. BABIES shouldn't have BABIES. Nor, should they rely on the welfare system to support those babies. Planning to have a child you can NOT support is irresponsible. Period. So now I must thank you, I thank you for speaking for your older generation, and making me see where the real problem lies. Also... you say I got pregnant for fun? No, I got pregnant on the pill, at 18 years old. Not 16, not 17, 18! So I guess God was just ready for me to bring him into this world. However, I still didn't make you pay for him. Oh, and just one more little thing... You can act like a school yard bully all you want, but calling me names doesn't change the facts at all. Nor am I even the slightest bit concerned about what you think of me. I mean really, you believe that kids having kids is ok, and furthermore you believe that it's ok for us (hard working Idahoans) to pay for the kids that have kids. What does that say about you?

Aidensmomma: GOOD FOR YOU! Good for you for taking responsibility for the situation you were put in, making the best of it, and doing what a big girl should do. Taking care of your child by any means necessary is commendable and responsible. So for that, I think you should be the 'poster mom' for how to do it right... Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Some people could learn a lesson from you.
  6. whathefun
    whathefun - March 19, 2011 7:05 am
    Alright, here we go. I will try not to be as offensive to opinionated as my last attempted post which the Times appearantley didn't like.

Opinionated, that's all you are. Keep your kid away from my neices. That's my concept for safe sex. I paid for your child's education, probably more so than you. Me property tax payer, you too foolish to get over your pride and get a real education. You think somehow you can go off on youngmomma for making the same descision you did, propigating life before you had one. Bitter isn't a nasty enough word. She made the descision to continue the human species because she found the right guy. You didn't. She is doing what she can to survive and provide. And it's legal. You, it would seem, bore a child without regard for your future, your son's father's future, or even your child's future. In other words you did it for fun and got caught off guard. Pride the killer of giants.

I'm quite a bit older than both of you and I'm sure by my age neither of you will have tha same opinions. These stupid programs were designed to help not to become a life style. I have yet to see youngmomma say she plan's continued assistance for the rest of her child's upbringing.

Plus, there are a lot of government programs that cost much more money and have much worse side effects.
  7. aidensmomma
    aidensmomma - March 19, 2011 5:27 am
    I got pregnant with my son at 18. He was completely unplanned, and while he is a blessing and the best thing that I've ever done, it happened too soon. I grew up and graduated from Jerome, teen pregnancy was widespread. Granted I was graduated by the time I had my son I still firmly believe that babies having babies is a bad idea. My husband and I now both work full time night shift jobs and don't get to spend the time that we would love to with our child. We refuse to be on welfare, why would we take money and resources away from people who really need it when we have the ability to provide for our child and our family. In a perfect world I would have waited till I was better edcuated to provide my son with the life he deserves. A child deserves someone with the ability to provide for them. and youngmomma, you cannot provide for your child. You are on welfare, the state is providing. Put on your big girl panties and realize that beautiful innocent child did not ask to be born to a life of poverty. You and your husband have the choice to change that. No one else. One day I will be able to spend more time with my son as my education progesses. Would you rather miss the first time the child did something cute, or the first date? The first football game? The first school play? As a parent you do the best as you can, but not at the expense of others.
  8. opinionatedx10
    opinionatedx10 - March 18, 2011 8:52 pm
    I really didn't figure you would have much of an intelligent response to my comment, it's hard to debate fact. Also, insults don't really help support your point of view. It just reiterates my point on your level of maturity or lack there of.

Hellsurvivor: I couldn't agree more. However, you should have used smaller words or stick figures... I'm not sure if everyone reading this thread is capable of using a dictionary.
  9. Youngmama
    Youngmama - March 18, 2011 1:24 pm
    Wow whatever you say. And i'll say your probably bitter about a lot more things. Don't tell me how to parent my child. I do that just fine. And another thing when im in my thirties i'll still be laughing at people like you.
  10. hellsurvivor
    hellsurvivor - March 18, 2011 10:13 am
    It all boils down to our society's pervasive hedonism and lack of discipline.
  11. opinionatedx10
    opinionatedx10 - March 18, 2011 3:45 am
    One added thing, bitter? Yes I am. At the abuse, disrespect, and entitlement of young people like you when it comes to our very fragile economy. I'd rather my tax dollars went for education, roads, and other government programs. Instead of supporting you, maybe you should have furthered your education before starting a family?
  12. opinionatedx10
    opinionatedx10 - March 18, 2011 3:38 am
    You must think you're dealing with an amateur. I'm smart enough to look up Idaho Welfare guidelines and smart enough to know if you work 65 hours a week at minimum wage, your husband could make no more than $7000 a year for you to qualify for aide. So I stand corrected, he needs to get another job. I'll except your apologies when you're in your 30's and you realize the true absurdity of your actions. Until then... make sure you teach your child about safe sex.
  13. Youngmama
    Youngmama - March 17, 2011 1:26 pm
    And also i support my child just fine. And i am able to support my child. Apparently you have no idea what you are even talking about and lashing out at someone you don't know because you are bitter about what happened when you got pregnant honestly isn't my problem and shows just how immature you are. Me and my husband love each other and wanted a child so we had one we are able to support her and care for her.
  14. Youngmama
    Youngmama - March 17, 2011 1:16 pm
    Um no i did not plan to be on welfare and when she was born we did not have to be on welfare but things happen in life that you do not expect. I am sorry that you had to do it all by yourself but i work on average 60-70 hours a week that is almost the same as two full time jobs and i pay taxes also. But another thing my time with my child is important to me and i am not about to sacrifice the little time i do have because of pride. And you are jumping down my throat what about all the "kids" having kids and living off of welfare at least i do what i can for my family and if i still need a little help then thats ok. everyone has different opinions but that doesn't mean you have to jump someones case because they don't believe the same thing you do. And my child is fine she is happy and very intelligent i couldn't ask for a better child. She has two parents who love her shes clean and shes well taken care of. So for my Child's sake...She's fine.
  15. opinionatedx10
    opinionatedx10 - March 15, 2011 3:03 am
    Youngmama: I was a single mother at 19, my child was unplanned, and my ex refused to pay child support. So, I worked three (3!) jobs to support us, I never went on welfare, or assistance of any kind. Why? Pride in the fact that I am able bodied and capable of working, welfare should be reserved for those that CAN NOT work to support themselves and their families.
    With that said, I am appalled that you planned for a child that I now have to support with my tax dollars. So I thank you. Thank you for contributing to our already strained economy. If you were working your butt off, you wouldn't need assistance. Get another job, you apparently have a enough time to comment on web post, that's time you could be working. I know this is harsh, but at 19 your still a child, and planning for a child you can't support is irresponsible and shows just how immature you are.

On the subject of teen pregnancy, PARENTAL EDUCATION. It's really that simple. My child is now 16 going on 17 and we talk constantly about safe sex. I would be ignorant to think he's not going to have sex, so for that reason, I supply him with condoms, and a talk every night about his day and what's going on with him. Because of that, he's smart and wise to the world, and mature enough to make responsible decisions.
  16. hellsurvivor
    hellsurvivor - March 12, 2011 7:40 am
    This might indicate that Sex Ed in schools has been successful.
  17. Twin
    Twin - March 11, 2011 10:36 am
    Youngmama said: "Teen pregnancy won't go down because you put an age limit on it. And yes i'll agree that sometime medicaid and food stamps to get abused but what about the people that need it. I'm a 19 year old mother and wife. My daughter is one year old. I have a diploma and my daughter was planned. Me and my husband both work our butts off but it still isn't enough for all the bills and food. Plus if my daughter wasn't on medicaid i wouldn't be able to afford all the immunizations and such that she needs. So yes there do need to be regulations on the help but not age retrictions and things like that. I had graduated and even got some college in before meeting my husband and i am only 19 some people just start their lives early."

Seriously? Why would a young couple plan to have a child if they know he/she will be on government assistance? Obviously you knew it would be hard so why put the undue pressure on yourselves? It was planned, really? No education (other than HS) and no money? That's like saying, "I planned driving off this cliff." I did everything possible to ward off kids when I was 18 (not too long ago, btw). I sincerely wish you and your husband all the best for your child's sake.
  18. My familys keeper
    My familys keeper - March 10, 2011 11:45 pm
    I figured out a long time ago how to cut back on my child support.... I used condoms...hehe
  19. 1017
    1017 - March 09, 2011 9:44 am
    I agree that the age limit idea is ridiculous. But think about it, is this really an issue of teen pregnancy; or is it about the welfare system and healthcare. As Americans, we need to take a look at other countries that do not have such a high percentage of issues like this one. Even when there are unplanned pregnancies, healthcare is affordable, and they don't cater to the people who 'need' welfare. I also agree that we need to better educate teens about sex as a whole. People need to realize that it is the 21st century, young people will have sex, and that will not change. Teens need to be educated on how to have safe sex, and how to obtain contraceptives. We need to do away with abstinence programs because they are obviously not working. When you get to college, you can by condoms (or get free ones) in vending machines in the dorms...shouldn't this be an eye-opener that sex is HAPPENING. Lastly, getting married you and having a child is never the best option...but that is something that families need to teach their children.
  20. 1017
    1017 - March 09, 2011 9:30 am
    Is this really an issue of teen pregnancy, or is it more about our welfare and healthcare systems? Personally, as Americans, we need to look around at the other countries of the world that have significantly less issues such as this....and at the same time, are much more affordable if you do have something unplanned happen. Here's the thing, it's the 21st century now...young people have sex, and they will continue to. We need to educate them about it, but we need to do away with programs that only promote abstinence. Make it so that teens know about the dangers and things that can happen and how to practice safe sex. Regardless of who you are, having a child and getting married at a young age, is not your best option.
  21. Youngmama
    Youngmama - March 09, 2011 8:27 am
  22. Twin
    Twin - March 09, 2011 8:24 am
    likda9 said: "I'm sorry but you're wrong.Teen pregnancy won't b stopped by putting an age limit on receiving Welfare,but child abuse will go up.Let the girls know that they are better than sex objects.Give them something to do instead of have sex.Let them feel good about their bodies (no shame) so that they don't feel like slaves to them.Being poor in a capitalist country isn't easy.You get looked down upon.Its not the lazy poor nor the greedy rich that ruin our country.It's ourselves.It's the judging of each other as either good or bad.I'm saying this as a person who got pregnant my freshman year in college& whose child is now a sophomore at BHS.I've got both sides of the story.I'm speaking the Truth from love,not fear. "

I realize teen pregnancy will not decline, but if there is some sort of deterrent it might make kids think twice about sex. There MUST be consequences in place. If my wife and I are expecting another child we cannot go on government assistance. We have only US. Therefore, she and I have been in debate the past year about having another kid; and right now we're leaning towards no because no one's going to be there for us financially. This is called a deterrent. We have been deterred (i.e. discouraged) from having another kid. THIS is what I was talking about with respect to the minimum age.

23. Youngmama
    Youngmama - March 09, 2011 8:06 am
    Um putting an age restriction on it is the dumbest thing that i have ever heard of. Teen pregnancy won't go down because you put an age restriction on it. What about for mothers life me. I'm 19 years old married and have a one year old. I work my butt off and so does my husband but it still isn't enough. Medicaid and food stamps i'll admit get abused but what about all the people who really need the help?
  24. likda9
    likda9 - March 07, 2011 9:39 pm
  25. Twin
    Twin - March 07, 2011 11:35 am
    The first thing that should happen is for lawmakers to put a minimum age requirement on government assistance for mothers or fathers of newborns seeking such assistance. Put it at 21 or somewhere near there. Therefore kids from ?-20 WILL NOT get government assistance for their little bundle of oops. And tell them you have two years to get your act together then you're cut off. Until that law is passed (never) cities should try to offer alternatives to activity that leads to babies. Let's face it folks, we don't live in an area where there is non-stop action and entertainment. And what do people do where they are bored? Eat and partake in risky activity (drugs, sex, etc.) And of course, parents MUST get involved with their children. Tell them that EDUCATION is the key. Start young when they still look up to us with awe and drill into their minds that EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION is the way to a better life. Tell them that babies, though a precious gift, MUST wait. Give them a goal while they are young (COLLEGE). And tell them that once they have their degree, a good job, and a spouse they can procreate to their hearts content.
  26. bonesidaho
    bonesidaho - March 06, 2011 9:05 am
    I can see these people in the welfare system do not understand what is going on here. Most of these girls see these babies as a way to get a check each month. Because her girlfriend gets a check.
    And the way I see it why are the tax payers around these reckless kids responsible for there sexaul activities.We should not be paying these kids tax payers money for there actions. If your reckless then you pay the cost on your own. Thats the way it was when I grew up No one took care of your stupid reckless hind end. If you don't take care of your child then you go to jail. That word would pass thru the system as fast as the free check program. And the ignorant daddies would be placed in jail also. With a work program that generated money for the parents to use on there grand child. Never in the history of America has the tax payer been helt responsible for so many stupid programs. Its time for it to stop.

Tweet at Us!

Ask Us!

Ask us a question and we'll email you an answer.