Home Explosion

A Sept. 29 explosion at the home of Rep. Fred Wood, R-Burley, caused this damage seen the following day.


TWIN FALLS • The wife of an Idaho state legislator has been discharged from a Salt Lake City burn center after being injured in a September explosion.

On Monday, Rep. Fred Wood, R-Burley, said his wife, Amy, was released from the hospital last week. The couple is staying in a Salt Lake area hotel as she continues to undergo treatment.

Amy received second degree burns on her arms and neck. According to Fred Wood, Amy’s right arm is completely healed, and her left arm is expected to heal within a week. Amy received skin grafts on some of her burns, and those areas will take longer to heal, he said.

“She’s doing extremely well,” Fred Wood said.

Earlier this month, Burley Fire Chief Keith Martin said the explosion was likely caused by oil rags spontaneously combusting.

Wood said he and Amy expect to arrive in Boise within the next few days.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

The Woods plan to stay at their second home in Boise until the end of the 2013 legislative session next spring. By then, the damaged part of their Burley home should be rebuilt.

Wood is unopposed in the general election.

“We certainly wish to thank the whole community in the Mini-Cassia area and the whole state of Idaho for all their support, their thoughts and prayers,” he said.

For updates from the Wood family, or to leave messages, visit caringbridge.com/visit/loveforamywood.


Load comments