BURLEY • The state fire marshal did not release any details of his investigation Sunday after a room converted to a gun safe exploded Saturday, injuring an Idaho state legislator’s wife.

Amy Wood, wife of Rep. Fred Wood, R-Burley, was taken by air ambulance to the University of Utah’s Burn and Trauma Center.

She was in “good” condition Sunday, according to hospital spokesman Phil Sahn.

Ivan Hibbert, deputy state fire marshal, said the case is still under investigation and will be further reviewed by insurance investigators before reports will be available. The reports will not be available for a couple of weeks, he said.

“We’re not real positive but we kind of figured out where there was a problem,” Hibbert said.

He would not disclose any details of what may have caused the explosion.

The incident occurred at 8:11 p.m., according to Burley Fire Chief Keith Martin. The Woods were eating dinner at their home at 100 S. 147 E. when “they heard a sound like a 747 coming from the basement,” Martin said.

Martin said the explosion from the room lifted up the patio slab behind the home and collapsed the patio roof. Martin said the patio slab appeared to be the roof of the gun safe room. Amy Wood was on the patio when the explosion occurred.

On Sunday, Rep. Wood told the Times-News that he wanted to thank the community for its thoughts and prayers. “She really is doing OK,” he said.

Watch the Times-News and Magicvalley.com for more on this developing story.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.