Filer Will Keep Dog-shooting Cop for Now

2014-03-19T02:00:00Z Filer Will Keep Dog-shooting Cop for NowBy Mychel Matthews -- mmatthews@magicvalley.com Twin Falls Times-News

FILER, Idaho • City officials say Officer Tarek Hassani, who gained national attention last month after shooting a dog, will remain on the city payroll pending additional training.

Some at Tuesday evening’s Filer City Council meeting expressed outrage at the news and, minutes later, residents were outside the city hall making plans to recall city officials.

On Feb. 8, Hassani shot and killed “Hooch,” a black Labrador running loose in a west Filer neighborhood. The dash-cam video from Hassani’s cruiser, first posted on Magicvalley.com, sparked a national outcry.

Protesters gathered several times since the shooting, demanding that Hassani be fired.

Mayor Rick Dunn said Tuesday the City Council took the results of a Nampa Police Department investigation — and public opinion — into consideration while determining Hassani's future.

“I got a great education on how to handle animals,” Dunn said.

Hassani will remain on administrative leave, but will receive the additional training, Dunn said.

Animal-control training is lacking in most police forces, Dunn said. And he wants to change that.

Filer plans to provide animal-control training to its police force, as well as training in “how to deal with the public,” he said.

Filer resident Bonnie Deitrick was not surprised at the announcement.

“I think they’re trying to train a bad apple,” Deitrick said.

All but three of the 27 people who voiced their opinions last week to the City Council said they no longer feel safe in Filer.

Dunn said he couldn’t release any further information about Hassani's future because it was a personnel matter.

Nampa police's investigation found that Hassani was justified in shooting Hooch. However, the report criticized some of Hassani's actions before and after the shooting.

Hassani was cleared in August 2010 of a shooting of a man following a pursuit.

1. instant
    instant - March 25, 2014 8:28 am
    1000's of people boycott, petition & rally for this cops removal from office but yet a child predictor is getting off with a misdemeanor charge for molesting 6 young children & there is NOT a person rallying to have him removed????? What has happened to our society & judicial system????
  2. Nab0res
    Nab0res - March 22, 2014 10:59 am
    People should not boycott businesses because of this. they did not cause this cop to kill the dog. it would only hurt business owners who may feel the same as you about this. The ones that should be boycotted is the mayors office. If you want to accomplish anything then march in front of the mayors office with your sighns and maybe even the police station. I surely hope that the people don't let this be swept under the rug. I simply don't understand this mayors determination to keep this guy on the force. His aditude alone should be reason to be fired. Being on the police force as long as he has he should know not to have that kind of additude with anybody.
  3. u_gonna_shoot me_ too
    u_gonna_shoot me_ too - March 20, 2014 8:09 pm
    This is unreal, the people in this place are allowing this. What's next, someone picks up a toothpick and you call it a weapon and shoot them, too. This guy should be retrained alright by the state correctional institution. Is the chief of police blind or so corrupt that his loyalty is with another man in blue rather than public safety. What happened to serve and protect, or is this only a catch phrase. It's a disgrace by one person who now seems he is but a reflection of the department he apparently belongs with.
    This guy is the definition of a bully and a coward, I guess this is the reflection the chief wants in the public eye.
  4. Phlyboy
    Phlyboy - March 19, 2014 5:45 pm
    We will be boycotting Filer businesses as well..... Won't take the chance i might get pulled over for some petty reason.....
  5. Phlyboy
    Phlyboy - March 19, 2014 5:33 pm
    After all this, Filer, YOU'RE KEEPING THIS ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN? How many warnings that he is a liability and potential danger to the citizens do you need? Well, Filer Mayor & Chief, you'd better enjoy your free ride while you can.... There is a Recall coming, and if that one doesn't get you, a General election after that. You can be assurred that a New Mayor & Council members will be running, on this issue alone...... You'd best be prepared to earn your keep in the real world, it's coming.
  6. kishimojin
    kishimojin - March 19, 2014 11:49 am
    Great so the Filer powers that be now know how to handle an animal situation - but are still daft as to when deadly force is warranted. I heard on the radio a lady say, "Everyone deserves a second chance...," this is Hassani's third chance! Somewhere along the way, Hassani has forgotten his verbal de-escalation crisis training and the rules of engagement. I pray Hassani does not pull over someone, whom panics about not wearing a seat belt; makes the poor choice of trying to put it on while Hassani approaches the vehicle, Hassani assumes the person is reaching for a gun and Hassani shoots first before finding out the person was freaking out over a $10 ticket. Hassani's "organic computer" is no longer wired / functioning correctly to do the high stress occupation of police officer at maximum efficiency. Filer has failed to protect their citizens.
  7. CARefugee
    CARefugee - March 19, 2014 8:28 am
    The Mayor and Council really missed the boat on this issue. What a shame...I am sure there will be recalls coming soon.
  8. Carl
    Carl - March 19, 2014 7:50 am
    This comes as no surprise after seeing the Chiefs response immediately after the shooting coupled with the Mayors lack of leadership. If I found myself about to be pulled over by a Filer LEO, I'd turn on my emergency flashers, call 911 and drive the speed limit to the next town or Interstate in hope a trooper would assist. I'd give them the OJ. I'd have a video camera to turn on too. I'd tell 911, Help! I'm being pursued by a Filer PD. It could be officer Hassani and I fear for my life, please help! I'd also like to throw a shout out to the Nampa PD as well, thanks for the weak findings in your investigation. Now, any time some moron with a gun, "feels threatened", they can shoot to kill! Pathetic! As a citizen, I'd be afraid to report a minor crime to the Filer PD, Boise PD and even Nampa because I'd feel terrible if they should show up to administer the peace and ended up killing someone or something. Its a sad day when the people have to for their own safety, fear the police.
  9. Dick1946
    Dick1946 - March 19, 2014 7:28 am
    How many excuses do Local, State, or Federal employees deserve. In the real world the policeman would be out of a job in a heartbeat. No form of government listen to the people anymore. All people in office believe they are smarter than the people who put them in office.
  10. hewholistens
    hewholistens - March 19, 2014 5:19 am
    Shooting the dog was bad enough...but is anyone paying attention to how he handled the situation AFTER he shot the dog? Pounding on the door of the residence...using the "F" word...and then demanding to see some ID or "you're going to jail." Is anyone concerned at all about THAT? Don't be blinded by just the shooting of the dog! This guy is a loose canon and I'm afraid I will be boycotting businesses in Filer until this guy is gone. It's just not worth the risk!

Ask Us!

Ask us a question and we'll email you an answer.