Cop Lights

Police lights

TWIN FALLS — A Twin Falls man is accused of lying to police and falsifying evidence, claiming he had been kidnapped.

Brandon John Blasius, 22, was arraigned Thursday in Twin Falls County Fifth District Court on a felony charge of preparing false evidence.

A court affidavit explains what happened:

Blasius called 911 on Aug. 11 to report he had been kidnapped and wasn’t in contact anymore with his abductors. He told Twin Falls police the kidnapping had ended at North 300 East.

Blasius told police he had been restrained using a phone cord, with his wrists tied behind his back.

He told police the suspects drove erratically for about 90 minutes while he was in the back seat with a plastic bag over his head and rag in his mouth.

He works at Blue Beacon Truck Wash in Jerome from 4 p.m. to midnight. He got off work at 12:45 p.m., let his car warm up and headed toward Twin Falls to “unwind” for an hour.

Once in town, he saw a parked black Escalade on the side of the road on South Park West and people standing in front of the vehicle.

“He told me the hood of the vehicle was up so he stopped to offer help,” a police officer wrote in the court affidavit.

Blasius provided a description of the suspects to police. He said the suspect told him the car wouldn’t start.

“Mr. Blasius told me that he is mechanically inclined and always stops to help people stranded on the side of the road, so he turned towards his car that he left running to retrieve a flashlight from the trunk,” the officer wrote.

Blasius told police one of the suspects grabbed him and pushed him into his vehicle, and he didn’t fight back because he knew he was outnumbered.

Surveillance video from nearby buildings didn’t show any vehicles that matched Blasius’ car. The officer called Blasius, who met him at the Twin Falls Police Department and provided a map he’d printed from Google Maps of the route his kidnappers drove.

“Due to many inconsistencies in Mr. Blasius’ relocation of events and his vehicle not being seen on any video footage I had seen at locations he said he was at, I asked him if he would consent to a polygraph examination,” the officer wrote, and he did.

On Aug. 19, the officer received a phone call from Blasius and while talking, asked if he could meet at the police department to talk about the polygraph results. He said he would meet the officer on Aug. 22.

The officer received a voice message from Blasius that day saying he couldn’t make it because he didn’t have anyone to watch his child.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

That same day, he received a call from Blasius’ wife, who said she would keep her appointment with the officer Sept. 23. Blasius didn’t return phone calls, but his wife spoke with the officer.

“It was evident by (her) questions and statements, she had doubts about Mr. Blasius being truthful about the reported kidnapping,” the officer wrote.

When the officer met with Blasius’ wife, she was “obviously upset and shaken,” and told the officer that the day before, Blasius had told her he wanted a divorce and he was going to Nevada to work at the mines.

She expressed concerns about Blasius acting irrational lately, and about him being late getting home from work and making excuses for it.

The next day, Blasius came to the police department for a meeting. And on Aug. 29, he showed up unexpectedly to the police department and told the officer he was out late the night he reported a kidnapping “hanging out with friends due to him having issues at home with his wife.”

Blasius admitted to falsifying the kidnapping and a police report, and that he had put the plastic bag over his own head.

“I said to Mr. Blasius that in essence he had set up all of the evidence to make the police believe that he had been kidnapped,” the officer wrote. “Mr. Blasius replied, ‘Ya, I guess so.’”

A pretrial conference is Oct. 27.


Load comments