TWIN FALLS — A fatal fire that took the life of a 2-year-old girl Monday afternoon is thought to have started when a cat knocked a heat lamp into a turtle terrarium, according to the Idaho State Fire Marshal.

Cassandra Luckey was the only victim of a blaze that engulfed an RV trailer on U.S. 93, south of Twin Falls, around 1 p.m. Monday. She was napping in the motorhome when the fire started, police said. Her mother, Meredith Menard, had stepped out and into the house next door just minutes before the trailer went up in flames.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office believes the fire began when a heat lamp was knocked down into a terrarium that held a turtle and decorations.

“We think there was a cat that the family had, and apparently the cat had a habit of trying to get to the turtle,” Fire Marshal Knute Sandahl said.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

The official cause of the fire has been listed as combustible material too close to a heating source, according to Sandahl.

4
8
0
0
0

Load comments