Man Pleads Guilty in Toddler’s Death

2012-09-19T02:00:00Z Man Pleads Guilty in Toddler’s DeathBy Alison Gene Smith Twin Falls Times-News

TWIN FALLS • A 20-year-old Twin Falls man pleaded guilty to a voluntary manslaughter charge in the death of a 3-year-old boy.

Lane Alan Buddenhagen was originally charged with first degree murder but the charge was amended in a plea deal Friday.

According to an amended indictment, Buddenhagen “unlawfully but without malice, aforethought and premeditation” killed the child by causing him to sustain a catastrophic brain injury.

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for Nov. 2.

The boy, who was not related to Buddenhagen, died on Aug. 7, 2011. According to court documents, emergency personnel responded to an apartment complex at 512 Jefferson St. the morning of Aug. 6 to find the child lying on the floor of a bedroom.

Buddenhagen allegedly told police the boy had been taking a bath. He said he left the bathroom and heard a loud sound, returning to find the boy on the floor. Buddenhagen said he moved the child to a bedroom and called 911. The boy was later taken to a Boise hospital where he died.

A doctor at St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center told police he believed the child was shaken, based on bruises on the child and the results of a CT scan, and called the injuries “severe child abuse.”

In court documents, Buddenhagen stated he was giving the child a bath and pushed the child to get him to sit down when the child hit his head. He also wrote he was pleading guilty on his attorney’s advice because he felt like it was the best option for him and feels responsible for the boy’s death.

According to court documents, prosecutors will ask for a maximum of 10 years fixed time in prison for Buddenhagen.

A mental health evaluation and a criminal risk assessment have been ordered in the case.

1. dwarner Staff
    dwarner - October 02, 2012 5:07 pm
    Folks, please refrain from identifying the victim. I just deleted a comment that did so. Thanks.
    -Dan Warner, Online Editor
  2. justme2012
    justme2012 - September 29, 2012 9:41 pm
    I wasn't going to say anything else about this, or reply to your acquistions of my so called "tantrum", because you do not know how deep my pain is. No, I did not take take time to check my grammer(besides my college education). I feel frustrated that people defend a murderer. I was looking at a picture of the child tonight and I could see bruises in both his eyes and this picture was right before his death. I don't believe that he was unhurt prior to his death. I don't believe in any innocence of Lane. I am not going to rant on but I can say NO I ould not support anyone in relation with me if they had murdered a child. He has pleaded guilty so be it, he is guilty. and have fun checking my grammer because I am done.
  3. Chuck_B
    Chuck_B - September 23, 2012 1:27 am
    Just to be even more of a stand up guy, here is a list, and correction of MY mispelled words: *You're, *Whether, *Bus, *They, *sense,.. What it boils down to in the long run, is that a little boy died, and I'm sorry for that. Also, when you go around trolling everybody's posts calling them idiots and carrying on like a child, it says something about yourself.
  4. Chuck_B
    Chuck_B - September 23, 2012 1:07 am
    Whoa trick, take a second to read before you start spouting off like your some kind of authority figure.. First, chill out, and stop throwing a tantrum. You good? Okay, now, I didn't say anything about wheather or not I know him now, or in the last 20 years, I just said I KNEW him at one point, and may not be willing to just throw him under a but at the drop of a dime. Second, I never said I read ANY evidence pertaining to the case, and I didn't argue it was an accident, I said, and I quote: "Accident or not". No argument, just a common use of words indicating that since I don't have the OFFICIAL records in my hand or on my screen at the time I'm posting this, it's all heresay to me.. About accountability, if you were to be in the position of spending a very large amount of your adult life in prison, would you be quick to accept it and say you take full responsibility? I doubt it 'lady' (and I use that term loosely) All the people who support him don't want to lose him as a son, a brother, or a friend so, yeah, the don't want to believe something so heinous. I did however say: (and my point still stands strong) that for you and others to say that he should meet a violent end is not only hypocritical, but ignorant in the scense that one day, you, or someone you love may be in prison for a similar cause, and I guarantee you and yours will support that person the very same, but on the flipside, others will wish death upon them as well. Please, for future posts, use proper grammer, and correct spelling. Thank you. :)
  5. justme2012
    justme2012 - September 22, 2012 10:49 pm
    and a last word to that. everything happend for a reason??? A 3 yr old is in the ground a 20 year old who is walking around living his life..may behind bars but I cannot figure out why I had to watch a small casket be lowered to the ground. An adult against a 3 yr old..yeah that happens for a reason. You really are stupid arent you.
  6. justme2012
    justme2012 - September 22, 2012 10:41 pm
    oh wait there is more .the sister that wanted the mother to lie for her brother
  7. justme2012
    justme2012 - September 22, 2012 10:19 pm
    oh poor baby... would this be his sister..who is an idiot
  8. justme2012
    justme2012 - September 22, 2012 10:19 pm
    What are you at total moron who did not read the evidence???? Go ahead turn a blind eye to it all. That is what most people who "know" Lane like to do. His death cert read that he died from abusive head truama. Lane did not call 911 first he called the mother wanting to know if her son suffered from seisures. The police report says his brain damage is like a child dropped from a 3 story building. How can you argue that the child died on accident. How can you say what you are saying. Lane is still is still not being accountable for what he did and that is BS. and all the people that support him are just in denial like him. So you FN peace yourself. He deserves what he gets in prision.
  9. Chuck_B
    Chuck_B - September 21, 2012 7:29 pm
    Just a quick comment.. I, having actually known the man in question. I may be bias, and I wasn't there, (and I can promise that none of you were either) but, when you say things like 'I hope the other inmates "take care" of him' and 'He should get death', aren't you yourself being a hypocrite? Accident or not, you don't know anything other than what the media, and word of mouth has told you. So, I say with absolution, your arguments are invalid, and have a day.. (whether it's good or bad, I don't care.) Peace.
  10. daddysgurl
    daddysgurl - September 21, 2012 6:26 pm
    So lane has some problems he doesnt need you bashing on him on top of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. grndpa
    grndpa - September 21, 2012 8:14 am
    10 years fixed!! But it's really up to the judge when its all said and done. 10 years fixed means that he will have to spend at least 10 yrs in prison. The sentence will most likely be 10 to 25yrs with a chance of parole after 10yrs. Hopefully they won't allow him to parole and he'll spend the 25yrs in prison. Kimberbudd its obvious that you are close to Lane. and yes we've all heard of accidents. But!! this was an avoidable one. Lane is abusive its in the court documents. I don't know how the mother excaped prosection from this tragedy. She lived with this murderer and did not protect her son. It's only my opinion but she should have at the least been charged with child endangerment or something of the sort.
  12. ANGIE
    ANGIE - September 21, 2012 8:04 am
    so very sad. the boyfriend is gulity and the mother for letting him stay. and of course the little boy has to suffer at the hands of the boyfriend. Wow. another great mom letting her boyfriend who is not a good person watch her son. maybe she should of been watching him herself. and never of let him stay there. get smart. i hope they fix her so she doesn't have anymore that she can't take care or find another boyfriend that wiill harm them. i am sick of crazy boyfriends and bad parents harming the little ones who love them.
  13. 3girls1boy
    3girls1boy - September 20, 2012 5:10 pm
    Jamielynn- I also wanted to clarify that I personally know Lane was not his biological parent. However, that dear child's Mother let him act in the capacity as one! As far as I am concerned she is also to blame here! She knew his past, she knew he was abusive - even to her when she was carrying his child! And yet, she did NOTHING and continued to stay with him. I hope karma gets her too! A real mother (one as myself) would never allow her children to be put in any dangerous circumstance that she could have 100% avoided!
  14. jamielynn
    jamielynn - September 19, 2012 10:51 pm
    I would also like to clear something up..kimberbudd (a family member of the baby killer) said this was an "accident" I would like her to explain how it was an accident when the family was told by the medical examiner that the baby's injuries were equivalent to him falling straight on his head from a 3 story building. Do you KNOW how much force that is??? that is not injuries from accidentally falling after being pushed to a sitting position! I will be at EVERY one of his parole hearings to make sure that killer is NOT released even 1 second before his max date! My Godson would have been 13 in ten years, now he will forever be a 3yr old beautiful baby boy. That killer gets a chance to start his life over at 30. How is that justice in ANY way??
  15. jamielynn
    jamielynn - September 19, 2012 10:40 pm
    just in case they delete my other cooments i wanted to correct you on something, you probably didnt know but the baby killer, lane, was NOT the baby's father or parent in ANY way. He was just the mom's boyfriend.
  16. jamielynn
    jamielynn - September 19, 2012 10:37 pm
    10 years in not nearly enough, especially if you know his background. He was consistantly in trouble with the law and only a few months prior to this was arrested on domestic battery charges. This was no accident! and to kimberbudd....I AM a family member of the victim. I had to watch my 3yr old godson, a BEAUTIFUL baby boy be lowered into the ground just months before his 4th birthday! His grandfather is one of my best friends, his father is like a son to me and his mother like my daughter. yes we are going through alot, thanks to Lane. I can only HOPE and PRAY that the other inmates where he is going give him complete justice EVERY second of EVERY day for the next 10 years. I also hope that Karma bites the prosecutors in the butt for even considering offering this baby killer ANY kind of plea!!!!It's a shame that our justice system gives more time to criminals who commit petty crimes than to people who kill babies! to 3girls1boy...the BABY KILLER was NOT his parent, just the mom's kelly, in my experience, he WILL get what's coming to him. Inmates have their own code of ethics and baby killers are the lowest of the low.
  17. 3girls1boy
    3girls1boy - September 19, 2012 8:09 pm
    I agree! 10 years doesn't seem quite fair when an innocent child was killed because a 'parent' couldn't control their rage! Our judicial system is a joke at best! When will our country start protecting it's future!?
  18. MaryS
    MaryS - September 19, 2012 7:48 pm
    That's absolutely ridiculous! Just 10 years??? He should get life; or better yet, death! I've seen drug charges with a longer sentence!! Accident my butt!! How do you accidentally cause a child a severe brain injury?? This is an absolute outrage and a fine example of our "fair" justice system!
  19. kimberbudd
    kimberbudd - September 19, 2012 7:09 pm
    Have you ever heard of an accident? The families are going through enough without rude comments!!!
  20. Kelly A
    Kelly A - September 19, 2012 9:17 am
    10 years??? Are you kidding me? I hope the other inmates "take care" of him in prison!

Read the Terms of Use for