You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
Mychel Matthews / THE DESERET NEWS FILE PHOTO VIA AP  

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke takes a horseback ride May 9 in the Bears Ears National Monument in Blanding, Utah. President Donald Trump is expected to trim 1 million acres from the Utah monument, designated by President Barack Obama.


National
AP
Trump era sparks new debate about nuclear war authority

WASHINGTON — It’s hard to overstate how thoroughly the U.S. military has prepared for doomsday — the day America gets into a nuclear shooting war.

No detail seems to have been overlooked. There’s even a designated “safe escape” door at the nuclear-warfighting headquarters near Omaha, Nebraska, through which the four-star commander would rush to a getaway plane moments before the first bomb hit.

Procedures are in place for ensuring U.S. nuclear weapons are ready for a presidential launch order in response to — or in anticipation of — a nuclear attack by North Korea or anyone else. There are backup procedures and backups for the backups.

And yet fundamental aspects of this nightmare sequence remain a mystery.

For example, what would happen if an American president ordered a nuclear strike, for whatever reason, and the four-star general at Strategic Command balked or refused, believing it to be illegal?

Robert Kehler, a retired general who once led that command, was asked this at a congressional hearing last week. His response: “You’d be in a very interesting constitutional situation.”

By interesting, he seemed to mean puzzling.

Brian McKeon, a senior policy adviser in the Pentagon during the Obama administration, said a president’s first recourse would be to tell the defense secretary to order the reluctant commander to execute the launch order.

“And then, if the commander still resisted,” McKeon said, “you either get a new secretary of defense or get a new commander.” The implication is that one way or another, the commander in chief would not be thwarted.

The current head of Strategic Command, Gen. John Hyten, said Saturday at the Halifax International Security Forum in Canada that he would refuse a launch order from a president if he believed that order to be illegal. Hyten also predicted the president would then ask him for options that Hyten judged to be legal.

Bruce Blair, a former nuclear missile launch officer and co-founder of the Global Zero group that advocates eliminating nuclear weapons, said the Kehler scenario misses a more important point: The Strategic Command chief might, in effect, be bypassed by the president.

A president can transmit his nuclear attack order directly to a Pentagon war room, Blair said. From there it would go to the men and women who would turn the launch keys.

The renewed attention on these questions reflects unease — justified or not — about President Donald Trump’s temperament and whether he would act impulsively in a crisis.

This past week’s Senate hearing was the first in Congress on presidential authority to use nuclear weapons since 1976, when a Democratic congressman from New York, Richard L. Ottinger, pushed for the U.S. to declare it would never initiate a nuclear war. Ottinger said he wanted to “eliminate the prospect that human ignorance and potential human failure in the use of nuclear materials, especially nuclear weapons, will lead to the destruction of civilization.”

Forty-one years later, the U.S. hasn’t ruled out first-strike nuclear options and is unlikely to do so during Trump’s tenure. This troubles experts who worry about a president with the sole — some say unchecked — authority to initiate nuclear war.

“We are concerned that the president of the United States is so unstable, is so volatile, has a decision-making process that is so quixotic, that he might order a nuclear weapons strike that is wildly out of step with U.S. national security interests,” said Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., said at the outset of last week’s hearing.

The committee chairman, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., said he was not targeting Trump. But he, too, has publicly questioned whether Trump’s aggressive rhetoric toward North Korea and other countries could lead the U.S. into a world war. In the end, Corker’s hearing produced little impetus for legislation to alter the presidential authorities.

James Acton, co-director of the nuclear policy program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, saw politics at play.

“But I think it’s a genuinely important subject, and I think it’s one we should be debating irrespective of who the president is,” he said.

Acton said a president rightly has unchecked authority to use nuclear weapons in response to an actual or imminent nuclear attack. In his view, the president should otherwise be required to consult in advance with the secretaries of state and defense, and the attorney general, and get approval from two of the three before acting.

Matthew Waxman, a professor at Columbia Law School, said changes of this sort would put a valuable check on the president and protect his nuclear authority from potential military insubordination.

Waxman and Richard Betts, director of the Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies at Columbia University, have a proposal: To order a nuclear first strike, the president would first have to get “certification” from the secretary of defense that the order is valid and authentic, and from the attorney general that it is legal.

These added safeguards wouldn’t risk delaying a response to an enemy attack in progress, Betts said. They would apply “only in situations where the United States is considering starting the nuclear war.”


If you do one thing

If you do one thing: Magic Valley Festival of Giving is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and features a Senior Social 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Southern Idaho Landscape Center, 21150 Highway 30, Filer. Admission is $1 or a canned food item or a new, unwrapped toy.


Jack Dempsey  

Denverquarterback Brock Osweiler throws as Cincinnati Bengals outside linebacker Nick Vigil (59) pursues on Sunday in Denver.


Local
Unemployment increases to 2.6 percent in south-central Idaho

TWIN FALLS — When Sayrd Iverson began hiring this summer for her company’s 445 new positions in Twin Falls, unemployment was low and still dropping.

But it seems to be getting easier to find applicants.

“It seemed like it had really thinned out a little bit — and then I was back to hiring 10 people a day,” said Iverson, the talent acquisition manager for C3/CustomerContactChannels.

Over the past month, she’s seen people coming out of seasonal harvest positions, as well as people who have moved to Twin Falls from Mini-Cassia and out-of-state.

Data from the Idaho Department of Labor shows that as the area sees an influx in people 16 and older coming into the workforce, unemployment has risen, too. Seasonally adjusted data released Friday shows south-central Idaho’s eight counties have a 2.6 percent unemployment rate in October, compared with 2.4 percent in September, as nearly 260 more people were unemployed.

It’s welcome news from employers who’ve been struggling to fill positions when the number of people looking for work has been low.

“We’re looking forward to a time when it’s not that low,” said Jan Roeser, regional economist for the Idaho Department of Labor.

The region’s labor force, meanwhile, increased slightly over the month and is up 1.2 percent from a year ago. A gain of 1,172 people has brought the civilian labor force in south-central Idaho to 99,065.

Statewide, unemployment edged up to 2.9 percent as the labor participation rate — the percentage of people 16 and older who are working or looking for work — increased to 63.5 percent. Roeser said this could be a result of mothers and retirees starting to look for jobs again, incentivized by an overall increase in wages.

“Age doesn’t seem to hold people back much anymore,” she said.

The shift over the past month alone was highly unusual, as the number of unemployed people in the region rose 11 percent from September to October.

“We haven’t really seen a big increase in that in this time period, between September and October, since the 90s,” Roeser said.

Online job postings, meanwhile are still significantly lower from a year ago. But as companies such as C3, Jayco and McCain Foods prepare for more hiring, Roeser doesn’t think there are fewer jobs out there. The HelpWanted Online job-posting data tracks most Internet sites and does not count duplicate postings — but it also take into account that some postings may be for multiple positions.

Roeser said holiday hiring for retailers kicked off in October.

“The conversation continues to evolve around the workforce issue,” she said.

Iverson said C3 has hired two waves of 20 to 30 people each, and is getting its third wave of hiring started now.

“We are actually doing really well,” she said.

The south-central Idaho county with the highest unemployment was Lincoln County at 3.1 percent. The county with the lowest unemployment was Camas County at 2.1 percent.